Cristiano Giuntoli is leaving Naples after being the sporting director of Napoli since the 2015/16 season. He will join Juventus in the 2023/24 season as their director of football, with his signing expected to be done soon.
Here is an overview of the best signings Guintoli done for Napoli, as he played a vital role in making sure that the Partenopei won the Scudetto last season and consistently formed reliable spines for the club during his stint at the Maradona.
- Khvicha Kvaratskhelia (Dinamo Batumi, €11.5m)- No other signing has made such an impact on his debut season since Mohamed Salah took the Premier League for a ride in the 2016/17 season. The winger scored 14 goals, assisting another 17 in 43 games across all 4 competitions. Though the Georgian was forced to leave Rubin Kazan in 2022 due to the Russia-Ukraine war Guintoli did an incredible job by signing him just for just under €10 million before anybody else could make their move.
- Victor Osimhen (Lille, €75m)- He was labeled as overpriced the moment he landed in Italy from France in 2020 as well as there were some controversies regarding his transfer package. Despite that, he has kept his critics quiet over the last three seasons by scoring 59 goals and 14 assists in all competitions. He has become an emblem for the club, taking them to the historic Scudetto.
- Kim Min-Jae (Fenerbahce, €18m)- The Bayern Munich-bound central defender was signed for more than half of the price a year ago from Fenerbahce as a replacement for Kalidou Koulibaly. He took the league like duck to water, showing his quickness in recovery and impeccable ability on the ball consistently through the season.
- Giovanni Di Lorenzo (Empoli, €9m)- Napoli’s Scudetto-winning captain made his debut in Serie A for Empoli in 2018 at the age of 25 after a spiralling journey from the lower divisions of Italian football. He joined Napoli in 2019 and has overtime, cemented himself as a truly reliable defender who helps in all phases of play and has emerged as a leader of men, who guides his side calmly.
- Piotr Zielinski (Udinese, €15m)- The Polish midfielder had impressed at Udinese and also during a loan stint at Empoli but he reached another level at Napoli as he reunited with Maurizio Sarri. He has become a leader at the Partenopei, providing goals and assists and has also become one of the best midfielders in his role in Serie A.
- Stanislav Lobotka (Celta Vigo, €20m)- When Lobotka first joined, Lobotka struggled for form, fitness and momentum. But under Luciano Spalletti, he became a vital cog in the wheel and formed the foundation of the side.
- Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa (Fulham, €17.3m)- Arguably one of the top three signings that Guintoli made at the club, Zambo Anguissa’s raw data numbers escaped the attention of multiple Premier League clubs. He initially signed on loan from Fulham in 2021 and wassigned permanently a year later. He essentially replaced the departed Fabian Ruiz and has proved to be an upgrade – something which seemed impossible not long ago.
Krishnatreya Bhattacharya | GIFN